Community Involvement and Programs
Valdosta Junior Service League is making a difference in our community.
The League's purpose is to improve cultural, welfare, recreational, civic, and educational conditions in our community, and to promote volunteerism and cooperation with organizations. Today, it is comprised of more than 100 active members and over 250 associate and lifetime members. Each active League member commits to volunteering 40 placement hours per year.
Placement hours may include committee or service placements with:
- Second Harvest of South Georgia
- The food bank distributes over 8 million pounds of food to over 350 member charities in South Georgia each year.
- Habitat for Humanity
- With volunteer labor, donated/sponsored building materials and land, Habitat builds houses for the working poor who would otherwise never be able to own a home and would continue to live in substandard housing.
- Camp Rock
- League members decorate the interior and exterior in preparation for Christmas.
- The Converse-Dalton-Ferrell House Restoration and Care Committee
- This committee is responsible for facilitating restoration and preservation of this landmark that serves as the League's home. This historic home is available for rental for weddings, receptions, and business events.
- VJSL's Koats for Kids
- This event provides winter coats each year for local children in need.
- Lowndes Valdosta Arts Commission Shows, Presenters Series, & Student Shows
- League members serve as hostesses for LVAC events.
- VJSL's School Hearing and Vision Screening
- The League provides hearing and vision testing of all local 3rd and 6th grade students.
- House of Hope
- The league members work with the landscaping and flower beds on Community Day.
- Miracle League of Valdosta
- The league members help prepare field, dugouts, bathrooms and concession stands for kickball season.
- Called to Care
- The league members donate items requested by Called to Care throughout the league year along with organizing the closets and changing from summer to winter clothes on Community Day.
- Boys & Girls Club of Valdosta
- The league members volunteered to paint and organize the Lake Laurie facility on Community Day.
- The Haven
- The league members organized the storage units on Community Day.
- American Red Cross South Central Chapter
- The league members inventoried disaster trailers on Community Day.
Our civic-minded members are dedicated to identifying and meeting our community's future needs. We appreciate your support of our organization.