Community Involvement and Programs
Valdosta Junior Service League is making a difference in our community.
The League's purpose is to improve cultural, welfare, recreational, civic, and educational conditions in our community, and to promote volunteerism and cooperation with organizations. Today, it is comprised of more than 100 active members and over 250 associate and lifetime members. Each active League member commits to volunteering 40 placement hours per year.
Placement hours may include committee or service placements with:
- Second Harvest of South Georgia
- The food bank distributes over 8 million pounds of food to over 350 member charities in South Georgia each year.
- Jacob’s Ladder
- This is a therapeutic horse riding program that allows physically, emotionally or developmentally challenged individuals to learn communication skills, follow verbal & visual directions and improve their social skills.
- Habitat for Humanity
- With volunteer labor, donated/sponsored building materials and land, Habitat builds houses for the working poor who would otherwise never be able to own a home and would continue to live in substandard housing.
- Southside Recreational Center
- They offer after-school and summer programs for children 5-16 years of age. The center offers educational programs such as ODESSY (Off Campus Discipline Education Skills Training for Suspended Youth Program), ATOD Education (Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs) , Life Skills training, Job Skills training and tutorial help.
- Lakehaven Nursing Home
- This is a skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility owned by Pruitt Health.
- Community Partners in Education Reading in Schools
- The Converse-Dalton-Ferrell House Restoration and Care Committee
- This committee is responsible for facilitating restoration and preservation of this landmark that serves as the League's home. This historic home is available for rental for weddings, receptions, and business events.
- VJSL's Annual Foster Parents Banquet
- This annual event honors the time and commitment given by local foster parents.
- VJSL's Koats for Kids
- This event provides winter coats each year for local children in need.
- Lowndes Valdosta Arts Commission Shows, Presenters Series, & Student Shows
- League members serve as hostesses for LVAC events.
- VJSL's School Hearing and Vision Screening
- The League provides hearing and vision testing of all local 3rd and 6th grade students.
- Valdosta Technical College's HarvestEd Festival
Our civic-minded members are dedicated to identifying and meeting our community's future needs. We appreciate your support of our organization.